10 things about St Vincent
1. St Vincent de Paul was born on April 24th, 1581.
2. He was born in Pouy, in the south west of France. It is now named Vincent de Paul in his honour.
3. Vincent became a priest in 1600. He was 19 years old.
4. He cared for those who were sick.
5. When he found poor children, he would give them food, clothing, toys and his love.
6. To help Vincent work with the poor, he asked men and women to help him.
7. The men are called the “Congregation of the Mission”. He started this group of men in 1625.
8. The women are called the “Daughters of Charity. He founded this with Louise de Marillac in 1633.
9. The Daughters of Charity helped Vincent to minister to the sick, poor and abandoned children.
10. Vincent died on 27th September, 1660. This is when we celebrate Vincent’s feast day.