Manifesto 2000 for a culture of Peace and Non-violence
BECAUSE the year 2000 must be a new beginning, an opportunity to transform – all together – the culture of war and violence into a culture of peace and non-violence.
BECAUSE this transformation demands the participation of each and every one of us, and must offer young people and future generations the values that can inspire them to shape a world based on justice, solidarity, liberty, dignity, harmony and prosperity for all.
BECAUSE the culture of peace can underpin sustainable development, environmental protection and the well-being of each person.
BECAUSE I am aware of my share of responsibility for the future of humanity, in particular to the children of today and tomorrow.
I pledge in my daily life, in my family, my work, my community, my country and my region, to:
1. Respect the life and dignity of each human being without discrimination or prejudice;
2. Practise active non-violence, rejecting violence in all its forms: physical, sexual, psychological, economical and social, in particular towards the most deprived and vulnerable such as children and adolescents;
3. Share my time and material resources in a spirit of generosity to put an end to exclusion, injustice and political and economic oppression;
4. Defend freedom of expression and cultural diversity, giving preference always to dialogue and listening without engaging in fanaticism, defamation and the rejection of others;
5. Promote consumer behaviour that is responsible and development practices that respect all forms of life and preserve the balance of nature on the planet;
6. Contribute to the development of my community, with the full participation of women and respect for democratic principles, in order to create together new forms of solidarity.